SDMS Professional Liability Insurance
Proper and adequate insurance is crucial to your ultrasound career. The coverage provided by your employer may not be sufficient in either scope or amount. Without your own policy there is no guarantee that a claim will be covered (especially if you change employers). And if there is a claim, will your interest be considered by your employer? Without your own policy (and your own attorney representing your interests), will you have a say in how a claim against you is settled? To apply or for more information call SDMS Insurance Services at 800-565-8794.
Your Best Career Protection
UP TO $1,000,000/$6,000,000
Limits of Liability
DEFENSE COSTS in Addition
to Limits of Liability
Questions to Ask
If you are depending solely upon your employer for your professional liability protection, there are a number of issues you need to consider. Remember, you can be sued in the future even though you may no longer be working for your current employer. What happens then? Here are just a few questions you need to ask:
- Has your employer provided you with WRITTEN VERIFICATION (such as a Certificate of Insurance) that you are being covered?
- Does your employer's coverage REFER TO YOU BY NAME in the policy?
- Does your employer's policy have A SEPARATE LIMIT OF LIABILITY FOR YOU so that coverage cannot be used up by others covered by the same policy?
- Will your employer provide LEGAL COUNSEL REPRESENTING YOUR INTERESTS about who is a fault, even when it is in conflict with your employer's allegations?
- Will your employer ADVISE YOU OF SETTLEMENT OFFERS MADE to those suing you before they are made?
- Will your employer reimburse you for LOSS OF INCOME because you are required to attend a trial or participate in pre-trial meetings?
- Will your employer reimburse you for COSTS OF LEGAL REPRESENTATION for licensure and/or administrative review?
- If you MOONLIGHT ON A CONTRACT BASIS, does your employer's policy cover you?
The Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (SDMS) plan offers you a superior policy. Here are just some of the features:
This policy provides coverage to pay for legal costs incurred in defending a claim made against you. This coverage is in addition to your policy limits.
Consent to Settle
This policy contains a provision, which requires that you be informed prior to any settlement the insurance company might make on your behalf. This provision also provides you with the opportunity to reject any settlement proposed by the insurance company, subject to arbitration.
You will be reimbursed up to $5,000 per incident per year for expenses of defending a state Regulatory Authority investigation of or proceeding for an incident which is otherwise covered by the policy.
The SDMS plan offers policies for students, employed sonographers, self-employed, groups, corporations and IDTFs.
Legal Fees Reimbursement for Deposition Testimony
You will be reimbursed up to $2,500 for counsel fees and expenses if you are required to provide a deposition related to covered services performed, even if you are not a direct defendant on the action.
Supplemental Liability Coverage
Coverage for bodily injury, property damage or personal injury claims during the policy period (not to exceed the limit of liability stated in the policy declarations and subject to all policy terms).
If the coverage form is broadened by the insurance company, you automatically receive the expanded benefits immediately, without charge.
Coverage applies anywhere in the world, as long as the claim is made or suit is brought in the United States or one of its territories or possessions.
How Do I Apply?
Simply call SDMS Insurance Services at 800-565-8794 (Office hours are 8 A.M. to 4 P.M., Central Time). Our Staff is here to help you with your professional liability needs as well as answer any questions you might have on the subject. We are here to help and support the members of SDMS, and this is a benefit provided only to current SDMS members.
ABOUT THE INSURER: Coverage under the SDMS Program will be underwritten by an AM Best A+ (Superior) rated insurance carrier known for providing quality professional liability coverage to medical and healthcare professionals. |
The SDMS program is administered by SDMS Insurance Services, which was formed to provide insurance services to SDMS members.
SDMS Insurance Services|
770 North Halsted St., Suite 301
Chicago, IL 60642