SDMS's core purpose is to enhance the art and science of medicine by advancing medical sonography. As an SDMS member you will join an exclusive network of over 28,000 sonographers and sonography students.
The SDMS provides opportunities to earn and offer continuing medical education (CME). We also have educational resources for the sonography community.
The SDMS offers resources for the sonography industry.
The SDMS supports credentialing for sonographers and provides representation on legislative and regulatory issues that affect the sonography profession.
Formed in 2009, the SDMS Foundation is a nonprofit charitable organization affiliated with the SDMS. The SDMS Foundation fosters professional learning and excellence by working to improve the field of diagnostic medical sonography.
The SDMS provides various products for the sonography community.
The Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (SDMS) is a professional membership organization founded in 1970 to promote, advance, and educate its members and the medical community in the science of diagnostic medical sonography. The SDMS, with over 28,000 members, is the largest association of sonographers and sonography students in the world.
The CODE OF CONDUCT applies to the use of all websites operated by the SDMS or affiliated entities and any online services or content provided by or affiliated with the SDMS (including those provided through hosting and service providers).
Table of Contents
Effective June 19, 2017
2. LIMITED LICENSE GRANTED. The SDMS grants Users with a non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable license to access and use the SDMS websites strictly in accordance with this Agreement and solely for personal, non-commercial purposes.
3. USER OBLIGATIONS. Your license for access and use of the resources on the SDMS websites is subject to the following User obligations. You agree to:
3.1 When setting up an account or initiating a financial transaction on the SDMS websites, provide true, accurate, current, and complete information.
4. USER RESTRICTIONS AND PROHIBITIONS. Your license for access and use of the SDMS websites is subject to the following restrictions and prohibitions on use. You agree NOT to:
4.1. Provide false, inaccurate, or misleading information on the SDMS websites.
4.2 Sign in as another person or edit, modify, or delete any profile information or other records saved by any other person.
4.3 Attempt to violate or circumvent the security of the SDMS websites or any SDMS system or to access data not intended for your use.
4.4 Share any SDMS website login username and password with others or allow others access resources intended for the authorized User. The User is responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of their login username and password and are responsible for all uses of their account, whether or not authorized by the User.
4.7 Copy, print (except for the express limited purposes permitted), modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, republish, display, distribute, transmit, sell, license, rent, lease, loan, or otherwise make available in any form or by any means all or any portion of the SDMS websites, except with prior written permission from the SDMS.
4.8 Use the SDMS website as a component of any information, storage and retrieval system, database, information base, or similar resource (in any media now existing or hereafter developed), that is offered for commercial distribution of any kind, including through sale, license, lease, rental, subscription, or any other commercial distribution mechanism. This includes images, videos, or other files in the SDMS Image Library, except as authorized and licensed under Common Commons.
5. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS. The SDMS websites and all right, title, and interest in the SDMS websites are the sole property of the SDMS and protected by U.S. copyright and international treaties. The SDMS reserves all other rights, titles, and interests. The "look" and "feel" (including color combinations, button shapes, layout, design, and all other graphical elements) of the SDMS websites are protected by SDMS' trademarks, service marks, or copyrights. All other product and service marks contained on the SDMS website are the trademarks of their respective owners. The User agrees that the SDMS website contains proprietary and confidential information that is protected by applicable intellectual property and other laws.
7. REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES. The SDMS has made every effort to ensure the SDMS website works as designed, however, the SDMS makes no representations or warranties with respect to SDMS website which is provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis. The SDMS disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including without limitation the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. The SDMS assumes no responsibility for the timeliness, deletion, incorrect delivery, or failure to store any information associated with the SDMS websites or membership or customer records.
8. LIABILITY DISCLAIMER. YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT THE SDMS, ITS AFFILIATED ORGANIZATIONS OR ENTITIES, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, PARTNERS, AND LICENSORS OR ANYONE ELSE WHO HAS BEEN INVOLVED IN THE CREATION, PRODUCTION, OR DELIVERY OF THE SDMS WEBSITE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD-PARTY FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, GOODWILL, USE, OR DATA RESULTING FROM: (I) THE USE OR THE INABILITY TO USE THE SDMS WEBSITE; (II) UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF YOUR TRANSMISSIONS OR DATA; OR (III) ANY OTHER MATTER RELATING TO THE SDMS WEBSITES.
9. GENERAL TERMS.
9.2 USER REMEDIES. You acknowledge that, except as expressly provided elsewhere in this Agreement, you have no rights with respect to any dissatisfaction with any modification or discontinuation of service made by the SDMS or any policies or practices in providing an SDMS website, including without limitation, any change in content or functionality. In no event shall the User seek or be entitled to rescission, injunctive, or other equitable relief, or to enjoin or restrain the operation of the SDMS 's services or any content or other material used or displayed through the SDMS websites.
9.7 TERM AND TERMINATION. This Agreement is effective until terminated. The SDMS, at its sole discretion, may terminate your access to or use of the SDMS websites, at any time and for any reason. Such termination, including deactivation or deletion of your account or profile, and all related information associated with it may occur without prior notice. The SDMS shall not be liable to you or any third party for any termination of your access to the SDMS websites. Sections 5 - 9 shall survive termination of this Agreement.
9.8 NOTICE. For purposes of service messages and notices about the services to registered Users of the SDMS websites, notice shall consist of an email from the SDMS to the email address in User's SDMS member or customer profile(s), regardless of any other information we may have. The SDMS also may, at its option, communicate with a User through other means including email, mobile number, telephone, or delivery services including the US Postal Service about your account or services associated with the SDMS websites. The SDMS shall have no liability associated with or arising from your failure to maintain accurate contact or other information, including, but not limited to, liability for failure to receive important information about the SDMS websites.
10.0. SDMS CONTACT. If a User has questions about any of the provisions described above, please contact the SDMS via the Contact Us link on this website.
2. INTRODUCTION. The Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography's (SDMS) mission is to promote, advance, and educate its members and the medical community in the science of diagnostic medical sonography. The SDMS accomplishes this by connecting the world's sonographers and other healthcare professionals to allow them to be more productive and successful. Central to this mission is our commitment to be transparent with our members and other customers about the data we collect about and how it is used and shared.
5. MEMBER/CUSTOMER PROFILE. An SDMS member or customer ("member/customer") can manage their communications preferences in the Profile area of the SDMS website account. Profile information helps the member/customer get more from the SDMS services, including finding CME course and informational topics. The member/customer controls choices about the information visible in their Profile, such as education, work experience, skills, photo, city or area, etc. A member can also choose to opt-in/opt-out the SDMS Member Directory. It is the member/customer's choice whether to include sensitive information in their Profile. Additional preferences may be found in the websites of affiliated entities (e.g., JDMS, SDMS Collaborate, Job Board, Learning, etc.).
The SDMS may collect personal data from a member/customer when they provide, post, or upload data to the SDMS websites or other services, such as when filling out a form, responding to a survey, etc. Please do not post or add personal data to the member/customer profile or the SDMS Collaborate communities that you would not want to be publicly available.
6. SHARING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED THROUGH AN SDMS WEBSITE OR SERVICE.
6.1 INTERNAL USE. The SDMS may use personal information to perform, provide, or enhance services to our members or customers.
6.2 SDMS SERVICE PROVIDERS. The SDMS may share personal information with companies that perform or provide services on behalf of the SDMS, e.g., companies that process credit card payments, professional liability insurance company, journal publisher, etc. The SDMS' service providers are required by contract to protect the confidentiality of the personal information the SDMS or the User shares with them and to use it only to provide specific services on the SDMS' behalf.
a. Provide more relevant advertising;
b. Provide aggregate reports of advertisements activity to advertisers;
c. Help the SDMS understand how visitors engage with our websites or apps, which can lead to improvements and enhancements; and
d. Detect and defend against fraud and other risks to protect SDMS members, customers, and affiliated entities.
7.2 KINDS OF COOKIES THE SDMS USES. The SDMS uses two types: persistent cookies and session cookies. A persistent cookie helps the SDMS recognize an existing User, so it's easier to return to the SDMS or interact with SDMS' services without signing in again. After sign in, a persistent cookie stays in the User's browser and will be read by the SDMS websites when the User returns. Session cookies only last for as long as the session (usually the current visit to a website or a browser session, e.g. 20 minutes). The cookies used by the SDMS or affiliated entity services generally fall into the following categories:
a. Authentication. If signed into SDMS, cookies help us show the right information and personalize the User's experience.
Table of Contents
By using SDMS Collaborate, the User agrees and affirms that they have read and will follow these rules and etiquette guidelines. Questions about SDMS Collaborate may be directed to the SDMS Membership Department via the Contact Us link on this website.
Please take a moment to become acquainted with these important rules and etiquette guidelines. To preserve an environment that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, the SDMS reserves, at its sole discretion, the right to suspend or terminate access to the SDMS Collaborate content for anyone who violates these rules. Violations of these rules could also result in termination of a person's or organization's SDMS membership.
1. NO MODERATORS. While volunteers, Board members, or staff may post and encourage discussion on relevant topics, the SDMS Collaborate communities are not considered moderated (i.e., messages are not reviewed before being available to other Users). Each User is expected to use sound judgment and always exhibit professionalism when using SDMS Collaborate. If a User believes a posting is inappropriate or violates the Code of Conduct or these rules, contact the SDMS via the Contact Us link on this website.
2. MEDICAL INFORMATION. The SDMS Collaborate communities are intended for medical professionals (or students). The medical information and images may not be suitable for children or other users outside of medical professions.
3. LEGAL OR MEDICAL ADVICE. No legal or medical advice is provided on SDMS Collaborate. Information related to legal or medical issues may be shared based on a person's opinion, knowledge, or experience, but shall not be considered a diagnosis or legal opinion. All Users should consider obtaining legal counsel or medical advice prior to relying on any posted information.
4. RESPECT OTHERS. Focus on the content of posts and not on the people making them. Please extend the benefit of the doubt to newer guests and members; there's no such thing as a stupid question.
5. RESPECT THE PURPOSE OF THE COMMUNITY. Use the communities to share successes, challenges, constructive feedback, questions, and goals rather than products or services the User provides.
Employers: Do not post employment/job openings in SDMS Collaborate.
Job Seekers: Do not post messages seeking employment in SDMS Collaborate.
Please use the SDMS Job Board.
6. USE CAUTION WHEN DISCUSSING PERSONS, ENTITIES, PRODUCTS, OR SERVICES. Information posted on SDMS Collaborate is available for all to see, and all comments may be subject to the United States or international libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
7. PROHIBITED CONTENT. All material that, in the sole judgement of the SDMS, that is abusive, defamatory, harassing, inappropriate, invasion of privacy, obscene, offensive, profane, threatening, or illegal or promotes discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability or veteran status is strictly prohibited. A User should not post anything they would not want the world to see or that they would not want anyone to know came from them. Posting prohibited content may result in the termination of the User's access one or more of the SDMS websites, termination of SDMS membership (in accordance with SDMS Bylaws and Board policies), or civil or criminal action.
8. ANTITRUST COMPLIANCE. Content should not be posted if it encourages or facilitates any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Content that encourages or facilitates an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: salaries; prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of a customer or supplier.
9. RESPECT INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. A User may only post content that they have personally created or have permission to use and have properly attributed to the content creator. While posting a small excerpt for educational purposes from a copyrighted work (with proper attribution) is generally permitted, whenever possible, the User should post a link to external online information rather than copying and posting it on SDMS Collaborate.
10. RESTRICTIONS ON USE. When posting items in our collaborative environment, please indicate if the item is not available for reuse. It is also advisable to contact the owner of any material if the User would like to reuse it.
11. APPROPRIATENESS OF CONTENT. Post messages or documents only to the most appropriate communities on SDMS Collaborate. This helps ensure all messages receive the best response by eliminating "noise." The SDMS explicitly reserves the right to move, remove, or edit any material, at its sole discretion.
12. USER-PROVIDED CONTENT. By posting or contributing content to an SDMS website, including but not limited to the SDMS Image Library, the User is granting the SDMS a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, and worldwide license to use the posted content in connection with the operation of the SDMS and its websites, including, without limitation, the license rights to copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, reproduce, edit, translate and reformat the content, and/or to incorporate it into a collective work. All other commercial use requires the prior written permission of the copyright holder. Note that some content may be subject to a Creative Commons license (https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/).
13. SDMS IMAGE LIBRARY. Images, videos, and other files ("files”) posted in the SDMS Image Library or other libraries may be copyrighted, but submission provides a non-exclusive right to our community Users to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use for non-commercial, educational purposes only.
14. USE OF SDMS IMAGE LIBRARY OR OTHER FILES:Images, videos, and other files ("files") posted in the SDMS Image Library, other libraries, or Communities may be copyrighted, but submission provides a non-exclusive right to our community Users to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use for non-commercial, educational purposes only. By uploading a file, the User is providing the SDMS and its affiliated entities with a worldwide, non-exclusive right to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use the file, including any commercial use, at its sole discretion.
15. COMPUTER/DEVICE SECURITY: Users should ensure they are accessing the SDMS Collaborate communities or any other SDMS-related websites, services, servers, computers, or data only using a computer or other device with an up-to-date operating system, web browser, and antivirus/malware detection software. The SDMS explicitly reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to limit or block access to the communities or any other SDMS-related websites, services, servers, computers, or data if it deems it necessary to protect the SDMS, its members and customers, its equipment, or its public, confidential, or proprietary information.
16. SECURITY OF UPLOADED/DOWNLOADED FILES: By uploading any file to the SDMS Collaborate communities and the SDMS Image Library, the User affirms that each file submitted has been scanned to ensure the file is not infected with a virus or malware and does not contain macros or scripts. While the hosting service for SDMS Collaborate scans uploaded files with anti-virus/malware scanning software, the SDMS or their officers, directors, agents, employees, volunteers, or any third party working on behalf of the SDMS shall not be liable for any harm that may result from the use of any file uploaded to or downloaded from the SDMS Collaborate communities or SDMS Image Library. If a User believes a file downloaded from SDMS Collaborate might be infected, the User should contact the SDMS Information Technology Department via the Contact Us link on this website as soon as possible.
17. ACCESSING DATA BELONGING TO OTHER USERS, THE SDMS, OR OTHER AFFILIATED ENTITIES: No User may impersonate another user nor access data, information, or software belonging to other Users, the SDMS or its affiliated entities, including vendors or service providers (e.g., website hosting company). The use of any software, tool, or device to access, hack, or de-compile any service or information provided by the SDMS is prohibited and the responsible party may be subject to civil or criminal penalties.
18. REMOVAL OF USER-PROVIDED CONTENT. The SDMS retains the right to remove any User-provided content including, but not limited to: text, images, or other files. The SDMS may withdraw its permission for use of text, images, or other files at any time, at its sole discretion. The SDMS also retains the right to prohibit a User from posting user-provided content, at its sole discretion.
1. BE CONCISE: State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
2. AVOID "REPLY TO ALL" MESSAGES: Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to the applicable person, not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link in each message.
3. ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGES: Do not send administrative messages, such as "remove me from the list,” to the group. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing email addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new email address – simply change your profile settings.
The Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (SDMS) is a service provider as it relates to content posted on an SDMS website by its members or customers. If a person believes that information posted on an SDMS website is in violation of the United States or international copyright laws or treaties, the person must:
Designated Copyright Agent to receive DCMA takedown notices:
Donald Kerns, JD, CAE
Chief Executive Officer
Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (SDMS)
2745 Dallas Pkwy Ste 350
Plano, TX 75093
SDMS Board Policy: Copyright is a legal right that grants the creator of an original work the exclusive rights for its use and distribution. All SDMS volunteers and staff are expected to comply with United States laws and international treaties related to copyright.
Approved by the SDMS Board of Directors, 02/08/2017.
2745 Dallas Pkwy Ste 350, Plano, TX 75093 USA
Tel: +1 214.473.8057 or 1.800.229.9506
Fax: +1 214.473.8563
© 2018 Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography