The SDMS Foundation Research Grant Program provides support for innovative research projects which advance the field of diagnostic medical sonography. Applicants are required to present a unique or immediate relevance to the profession and the SDMS Foundation, to undergo education and mentorship throughout their research, and to submit their findings to the Journal of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JDMS) for publication. Grant funding may be used to support the collection or analysis of data and other costs of performing the approved research.
Submit an Application
$2,500 - $5,000 (only one research grant every five (5) years per applicant)
Grant recipients are responsible for determining the tax implications of all grants received. Please consult a tax professional if you have questions.
Grant Application Periods ‡
- September 1 through February 28
- March 1 through August 31
‡ Applications accepted on a first come, first served basis subject to availability of funds.
To be eligible for an SDMS Foundation Research Grant, an individual must:
- Be a current individual member of the SDMS at both the time of application and the time of grant payments;
- Have a research project planned to begin within 6 months of the cycle deadline and end within 12 months of the cycle deadline;
- Fully complete the SDMS Foundation Research Grant – Online Application, including any required attachment(s), before the application deadline;
- Present a topic of unique or immediate relevance to the profession and the SDMS Foundation;
- Demonstrate the support of their employer, institution, or other applicable parties for the time and/or resources required to complete the research;
- Present proof of Institutional Review Board approval and/or Human Subjects Research approval (as applicable);
- Be willing to accept the mentorship and/or peer review of research methodologies by other qualified experts in the field; and
- Be willing to author and submit the results of the research as a manuscript to the JDMS for potential publication.
NOTE: Only one SDMS Foundation grant (i.e. one Certification Examination Grant, Hardship Grant, Research Grant, OR SDMS Educational grant) and one SDMS Foundation Scholarship may be awarded to the same individual within a calendar year.
- All applications must be completed online. Completed applications are reviewed based on eligibility criteria and availability of grant funds.
- Completed applications will be reviewed and 1 or 2 grants ranging from $2,500 – $5,000 depending on project needs will be awarded within 45 days of the application deadline. Research Grant awards are disbursed in two equal payments as follows:
The SDMS Foundation reserves the right to withhold or cancel the second payment if:
- Fifty percent (50%) of grant amount at time of grant award; and
- Fifty percent (50%) of grant amount at time of manuscript submission to the JDMS following completion of research.
Recipients must remain a member of the SDMS through the date of both payments.
- The project is not completed and submitted to the JDMS within twelve (12) months of grant award;
- The project scope deviates significantly from the approved project summary; or
- The researcher does not adhere to the periodic check-ins established by the project mentor.