Sonography Student Scholarships
The SDMS Foundation Sonography Student Scholarship Program provides a $2,500 scholarship to a deserving sonography student who has been accepted or is currently enrolled in an educational program in diagnostic medical sonography or cardiovascular technology that has been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Educational Programs (CAAHEP). Two (2) sonography student scholarships will be awarded each year. Scholarships can be used for tuition, books, or educational fees.
**NOTE: You must be logged in and a current SDMS member to apply for this program. **
Scholarship Application Deadline
- June 30 for future educational expenses to be incurred July 1 through December 31
- December 31 for future educational expenses to be incurred January 1 through June 30
Failure to meet any of the following scholarship eligibility requirements will result in an application being disqualified. If disqualified, the applicant's response to the essay questions will not be reviewed/considered.
To be eligible for a Sonography Student Scholarship, an individual must:
- Be a current individual SDMS member at the time of scholarship application, award, and date of payment;
- Be accepted or enrolled in a CAAHEP accredited sonography educational program. Scholarships are only made available for enrollment in educational programs located in the United States; and
- Fully complete the SDMS Foundation Sonography Student Scholarship online application, including required essay questions and required attachments (including Federal Student Aid Report (FASFA)) before the application deadline;
- Remain enrolled in the sonography educational program after the application is submitted and at least 90 days after the application period ends; and
- Have not previously received an SDMS Foundation Sonography Student Scholarship.
NOTE: Only one SDMS Foundation grant and one SDMS Foundation Scholarship may be awarded to the same individual within a calendar year. An individual may receive the SDMS Foundation Student Scholarship and the SDMS Advanced Degree Scholarship up to one time each within their lifetime.
- All applications must be completed online. Completed applications are reviewed based on eligibility criteria and availability of scholarship funds.
- All applicants will be notified by email once the scholarship has been awarded. Please allow up to sixty (60) days after the published scholarship deadline for the applications to be processed and evaluated.
- Within three (3) weeks of the scholarship being awarded, a check will be mailed to the scholarship recipient.
If you are experiencing difficulty obtaining the proof of enrollment (e.g., because of the school’s closure), please submit your online application and email firstname.lastname@example.org. The SDMS Foundation staff will try to contact the program director/contact person directly to try to obtain the required proof of enrollment. However, until proof of enrollment has been received by the SDMS Foundation, the scholarship application cannot be considered.
Scholarship recipients are responsible for determining the tax implications of all grants received. Please consult a tax professional if you have questions.
The online scholarship application includes three short essay questions. Responses to the essay questions must comply with all requirements or the application will be disqualified. Please limit responses to 200 words or less. Be sure to proof your essay question responses before submission.
Essay question responses are scored anonymously. Therefore, it is very important that the applicants do not identify themselves, their school or employer, or the location where they live in their essay response. Please note that spelling and grammar will be considered during the essay question scoring process.
Note: Failure to remove ALL identifying information from essays will result in the application not being considered.
- Why do you want to be a sonographer and what personal characteristics/traits do you possess that will make you a good sonographer?
- Describe the goals you have established for yourself and your efforts to accomplish these goals. Give at least one specific example that demonstrates your work ethic/diligence.
- Describe your most meaningful achievements and how they relate to your field of student and your future goals.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
The SDMS Foundation is committed to promoting and implementing ongoing improvements to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all Foundation programs and in the diagnostic medical sonography profession. Click Here
to read the full SDMS Foundation Board Policy.