McLaughlin Memorial Lectureship
On January 8, 2005, Stephen McLaughlin, BS, RT(R), RDMS, FSDMS, a Past President of the SDMS, died after a 19-month battle with brain cancer. Steve served on the SDMS Board of Directors for over ten years as a Regional Director, President-Elect, President (2000-2002), and Past President. Steve was an SDMS Fellow, and in addition to his Society Board service, he served the association and sonography community in a multitude of roles: committee chair, Board liaison, national certification exam proctor, local ultrasound society president, and counselor. Steve's goals as SDMS President were to grow membership and strengthen sonographer professionalism.
The Stephen McLaughlin Lectureship honors sonographers who are actively involved in the profession and have served as a luminary in the sonography field as exhibited by a distinguished and notable career.
To be selected for the Stephen McLaughlin Memorial Lecture, a person must be:
- An SDMS member in good standing;
- A recognized luminary within the profession;
- Willing to both serve as an Annual Conference plenary session lecturer and a conference track speaker.
- Nominations are not accepted from the membership-at-large for this award.
- With the assistance of the SDMS staff, the SDMS Event Management Committee (EMC) shall identify a lecturer that meets the stated purpose and eligibility requirements.
- The EMC Chair shall notify the selected lecturer of their selection.
- The selected lecturer shall present the Stephen McLaughlin Memorial Lecture, which can focus on sonographer professionalism or a general sonography profession interest topic during a plenary session for all attendees of the SDMS Annual Conference.
The selected Stephen McLaughlin lecturer shall receive:
- A complimentary registration to the current year’s SDMS Annual Conference;
- Reimbursement for related travel arrangements including air travel, hotel expenses, daily food and beverage (up to three nights, depending on schedule);
- An engraved plaque;
- Two complimentary, transferrable tickets to the SDMS & SDMS Foundation Awards event held at the SDMS Annual Conference; and
- Recognition at the SDMS & SDMS Foundation Awards event and in the Journal of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JDMS), SDMS press release, and SDMS social media release.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
The SDMS is committed to promoting and implementing ongoing improvements to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all award and recognition programs and in the diagnostic medical sonography profession. Click Here to read the full SDMS Board Policy.