The Sonographer and Student Poster Competition encourages sonographers and students to further research in the field and their own careers by creating poster presentations of findings in Original Research, Literature Review, or Case Studies. Entries are evaluated separately for the two available categories (sonographers and students). Posters are evaluated based on presentation (appearance), content, and originality.
For entrants in the Sonographer category:
- The primary author and any co-author(s) must be current individual members of the SDMS at the time of submission.
- A maximum of four sonographer authors may be listed for each entry.
For entrants in the Student category:
- The primary student author and any co-author(s) must be current individual SDMS members in the Student category at the time of submission.
- The Program Director must be a current individual SDMS member at the time of submission.
- A maximum of four student authors may be listed for each entry.
Only one poster submission is allowed per author. Submissions must not have been previously exhibited or presented at other conferences or had their findings published within the field regardless of medium (e.g., journal, online, book, etc.). Poster submissions will only be accepted electronically (Adobe Acrobat PDF or Microsoft PowerPoint format).
Instructions & Submission Deadlines
- A complete poster submission includes completion of the online poster application form and submission of the final, digital copy of the poster file in the correct file format.
- Applications and submissions must be received online on or before May 31.
- Applications and submissions are accepted annually between April 1 and May 31.
- All primary authors will be notified via email by mid-June of acceptance into the competition based on submitted materials.
- View/Print sonographer competition instructions.
- View/Print student competition instructions.
Competition winners receive:
- Monetary awards as follows: First Place: $150, Second Place: $100, for each competition category (sonographer and student);
- An engraved award;
- Recognition of author(s) and institution(s) with the poster when presented and displayed onsite at the SDMS Annual Conference;
- Two complimentary, transferable tickets for each author to the SDMS & SDMS Foundation Awards Dinner held at the SDMS Annual Conference; and
- Recognition at the SDMS & SDMS Foundation Awards Dinner and in the Journal of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JDMS), SDMS press release, and SDMS social media release.
Click to see examples of previous winners in the Sonographer and Student competitions.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
The SDMS is committed to promoting and implementing ongoing improvements to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all award and recognition programs and in the diagnostic medical sonography profession. Click Here to read the full SDMS Board Policy.