The Scientific Presentation Competition encourages sonographers to further research in the field and their own careers by conducting presentations that may address original clinical or educational research, literature reviews, case studies, best practices, or other areas related to diagnostic medical sonography. Authors of winning presentations are strongly encouraged to:
- Share with the sonography community through written publication in the Journal of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JDMS);
- Submit a course proposal based on their presentation for the following year’s SDMS Annual Conference; and
- Record an SDMS on-demand webinar.
To be eligible for the Scientific Presentation Competition:
- Primary author must be an individual SDMS member in good standing at the time of application and webinar presentation. Primary author is designated as the author listed first on the paper.
- A maximum of four authors may be listed for each entry. Co-authors must be individual SDMS members in good standing at the time of application and webinar presentation.
- If an author is an SDMS student member, the Program Director must be an SDMS member in good standing.
- Only one entry is allowed per author.
- A listed author must be able to participate in a webinar presentation in the event the submission is one of the top five finalists.
- Research findings must not have been previously published, submitted for publication or presented at a local, state, or other national meeting.
Instructions & Submission Deadline
- Applications and submissions must be received online on or before May 31.
- Applications and submissions are accepted annually between April 1 and May 31.
- View/Print instructions
Award winners receive:
- A monetary prize: First Place - $250; Second place - $150;
- A recognition plaque;
- Complimentary, transferrable tickets for up to four (4) authors of a winning entry to the SDMS & SDMS Foundation Awards Dinner held at the SDMS Annual Conference; and
- Recognition at the SDMS & SDMS Foundation Awards Dinner and in the Journal of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JDMS), SDMS press release, and SDMS social media release.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
The SDMS is committed to promoting and implementing ongoing improvements to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all award and recognition programs and in the diagnostic medical sonography profession. Click Here to read the full SDMS Board Policy.