The SDMS Foundation Hardship Grant Program provides grants to support sonographers who are temporarily disabled or unemployed and are experiencing financial hardship which prevents them from renewing their SDMS dues and earning the CME credits required to uphold their credential. Hardship grants may only be used to directly cover the cost of one year of SDMS membership.
$160 (only one hardship grant may be awarded every five (5) years per applicant)
Grant recipients are responsible for determining the tax implications of all grants received. Please consult a tax professional if you have questions.
Grant Application Periods ‡
- December 1 through February 28
- March 1 through May 31
- June 1 through August 31
- September 1 through November 30
‡ Applications accepted on a first come, first served basis subject to availability of funds.
To be eligible for an SDMS Foundation Hardship Grant, an individual must:
- Be a current Standard member of the SDMS in good standing at both the time of application and the time of grant receipt;
- Demonstrate need by fully completing the SDMS Foundation Hardship Grant - Online Application, including the required attachment(s), before the application deadline;
- Have an SDMS membership expiration date within 120 days following grant application; and
- Have a continuing education period with the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS), Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI), The American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT), or Sonography Canada ending within the calendar year of the grant application submission.
NOTE: Only one SDMS Foundation grant (i.e. one Certification Examination Grant, Hardship Grant, Research Grant, OR SDMS Educational grant) and one SDMS Foundation Scholarship may be awarded to the same individual within a calendar year.
- All applications must be completed online. Completed applications are reviewed based on eligibility criteria and availability of grant funds.
- Grant funds are automatically applied as an additional year of membership dues on the grant recipient’s account and are not transferable.
- Grant recipients will receive a confirmation by email within two weeks of notification of grant award that their membership has been renewed.
- Recipient must remain a member of the SDMS through the date of membership renewal.