Advanced Degree Scholarships
The SDMS Foundation Advanced Degree Scholarship Program provides a $2,500 scholarship to a deserving sonographer who has a minimum of two (2) years full-time sonography experience and has been accepted or is currently enrolled in an advanced sonography-related degree program (Bachelor, Master, or Doctoral) including, but not limited to, degrees in management, health, education, etc., in an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Scholarships can be used for tuition, books, or education fees.
**NOTE: You must be logged in and a current SDMS member to apply for this program. **
Scholarship Application Deadline
Applications are due annually by June 30 for future educational expenses to be incurred July 1 through June 30 of the following year.
To be eligible for an Advanced Degree Scholarship, and individual must:
- Be a current individual SDMS member at the time of scholarship application, award, and date of payment;
- Be accepted or enrolled in an accredited sonography educational program leading to a bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree. Scholarships are only made available for enrollment in educational programs located in the United States;
- Have at least two (2) years full-time experience as a sonographer;
- Fully complete the SDMS Foundation Advanced Degree Scholarship online application, including required essay questions and required attachments (including Federal Student Aid Report (FASFA)) before the application deadline;
- Remain enrolled in the educational program after the application is submitted and at least 90 days after the application period ends; and
- Have not previously received an SDMS Foundation Sonography Advanced Degree Scholarship.
NOTE: Only one SDMS Foundation grant and one SDMS Foundation Scholarship may be awarded to the same individual within a calendar year. An individual may receive the SDMS Foundation Student Scholarship and the SDMS Advanced Degree Scholarship up to one time each within their lifetime.
- All applications must be completed online. Completed applications are reviewed based on eligibility criteria and availability of scholarship funds.
- All applicants will be notified by email once the scholarship has been awarded. Please allow up to sixty (60) days after the published scholarship deadline for the applications to be processed and evaluated.
- Within three (3) weeks of the scholarship being awarded, a check will be mailed to the scholarship recipient.
If you are experiencing difficulty obtaining the proof of enrollment (e.g., because of the school’s closure), please submit your online application and email firstname.lastname@example.org. The SDMS Foundation staff will try to contact the program director/contact person directly to try to obtain the required proof of enrollment. However, until proof of enrollment has been received by the SDMS Foundation, the scholarship application cannot be considered.
Scholarship recipients are responsible for determining the tax implications of all grants received. Please consult a tax professional if you have questions.
The online scholarship application includes three short essay questions. Responses to the essay questions must comply with all requirements or the application will be disqualified. Please limit responses to 200 words or less. Be sure to proof your essay question responses before submission.
Essay question responses are scored anonymously. Therefore, it is very important that the applicants do not identify themselves, their school or employer, or the location where they live within their essay response. Please note that spelling and grammar will be considered during the essay question scoring process.
Note: Failure to remove ALL identifying information from essays will result in the application not being considered.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
The SDMS Foundation is committed to promoting and implementing ongoing improvements to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all Foundation programs and in the diagnostic medical sonography profession. Click Here
to read the full SDMS Foundation Board Policy.